Inlays and Onlays Near You
Inlays and onlays are dental restorations that are used to repair damaged or decayed teeth. They are sometimes referred to as “indirect fillings” because they are fabricated outside of the mouth and then cemented onto the tooth. Both inlays and onlays are considered more conservative options than traditional dental crowns because they preserve more of the natural tooth structure. They can also provide a better fit and seal than a filling, which can help prevent further decay or damage.
What is the Difference Between Inlays and Onlays?
Inlays: Inlays are used to repair cavities or damage that is confined to the center of the tooth’s surface. They are similar to fillings, but they are made from a more durable material, such as ceramic or composite resin. Inlays are custom-made in a dental laboratory and then cemented onto the tooth.
Onlays: Onlays are used to repair damage that extends to one or more of the cusps (the raised points on the biting surface) of the tooth. Onlays are also custom-made in a dental laboratory and then cemented onto the tooth.
When are Inlays & Onlays Recommended?
Inlays and onlays are often recommended in the following situations:
- Large cavities: Inlays and onlays can be used to repair large cavities that are too large for a traditional filling, but not large enough to require a dental crown.
- Fractured or damaged teeth: Inlays and onlays can be used to repair teeth that have been chipped, fractured, or otherwise damaged.
- Old fillings: Inlays and onlays can be used to replace old, worn-out fillings that are no longer effective.
- Cosmetic reasons: Inlays and onlays can also be used for cosmetic purposes to improve the appearance of a tooth that is discolored or misshapen.
- Preservation of natural tooth structure: Inlays and onlays are more conservative than dental crowns because they preserve more of the natural tooth structure.
- Durability: Inlays and onlays are made from strong, durable materials such as ceramic or composite resin, which can last for many years with proper care.
Our dentists at Georgia Smile Team will evaluate your specific situation and determine if this treatment option is right for you. Inlays and onlays can be an effective and conservative option for repairing damaged or decayed teeth.